Facts & Links

Common Questions

Woman walkingWhat is a Urogynecologist or (Specialist in Female Pelvic Medicine and Reconstructive Surgery)?
Female Pelvic Medicine and Reconstructive Surgery is a boarded subspecialty of Obstetrics and Gynecology. This Specialist is a physician who has completed 4 years of residency training in Obstetrics and Gynecology and then further completed a fellowship in urogynecology and pelvic reconstructive surgery. Currently, the fellowship length is 3 years.

Urogynecologists evaluate and treat women with a multitude of pelvic problems, including: urinary frequency, urinary incontinence, urinary retention, pelvic organ prolapse, uterine disorders, voiding dysfunction, bladder pain and sexual dysfunction.

Is incontinence a normal part of aging?
While urinary or fecal incontinence becomes more common with advanced age, it is NEVER a normal part of aging. If incontinence is negatively affecting your quality of life, then it is likely that Urogynecology Consultants has a solution to help you.

Am I too old for surgery?
The short answer is no. We will evaluate your overall health and the degree of your urogynecological problem and then help you decide if a non-surgical or surgical option is right for you. Because all we do is urogynecology, we have options that other practicioners may not have available.

What happens if I choose not to have treatment for my incontinence or for my prolapse?
You can always choose to live with your conditions. In most cases the incontinence or prolapse will worsen with time if left untreated. In rare cases, when the bladder has prolapsed past the vaginal opening and bladder emptying is compromised, the kidneys may be affected and opting for no treatment would be dangerous.


Patient Education Handouts